Skip to main content

Post 24. Chain Writing


  • Building Writing Skill
  • Intermediate - Advanced
  • Class Work
  • To continue friends' writing

Class Activates
It must be difficult to have a well-organized essay or a good writing based on the genre by practicing this activity. It's just for fun.

Every student makes a mind map/brainstorming for the writing. Then, students write a topic sentence. Next, they pass their paper to a friend sitting next to them. They continue writing on their friend's paper by adding 1 sentence which must be suitable with the brainstorming/drafting provided by their friend. Before adding a sentence, they must read the previous sentence(s) well. They must use new learnt grammar and new vocabulary discussed before. The activity is continued until students finish their writings.

For a fast and fun activity, it can be used to write a story or for a creative writing. Students freely add a sentence to build a story without making a mind map first.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narrow Definition

I'm sure we ever heard that teaching is 1/4 and 3/4. 1/4 is for preparation and 3/4 is for performance. I absolutely agree with this. However, it doesn't mean that we prepare lessons in a very minimum level and get the best result. Imagine that the 1/4 preparation of a teacher is 1000, so the 3/4 of teaching of that teacher is different from those having 100 for their 1/4 of teaching. Preparing much isn't a mistake, but it might be that matter if it's preparing too much. Every teacher has got their own definition of 1/4 and 3/4 of teaching. This is why I'm quite irritated when I prepare lots of things for my lessons, and others comment that good teaching is 1/4 preparation and 3/4 theatre. I do agree with that, but it doesn't mean that we prepare nothing or we don't prepare well. We also know that the way be behave and treat students are always on students' memory instead of our methods. I totally agree with this, but this bothers me when others ...

Writing Vs Imagining

I wish I could always update what I've started. Actually, I'm writing not to tell others of how teaching English is, but these are for my own reminder since I can't manage my stuff of teaching things well. By writing them, I can easily check what I want to use for my following different classes. However, I'm not good writing, and vlog now seems more popular; I mean useful; than blog. I hope someday I can continue writing. Have I got vlog? No, I haven't. I keep updating my Instagram, @teflcase_teachingenglish. It doesn't mean that I provide awesome teaching tips or such stuff, but I just want to make such kinds of place to save what I have made, so that in a different occasion I can look at them again for some purposes. I, actually, try to write more procedures of teaching English for some class activities, but I may rethink to continue writing due to some reasons. I know Imagining is more fun that Writing; I think. Then, I don't write but imagine. My bad...

Post 15. Story Starters

Speaking Activity/Writing Activity Pre - Intermediate to Advanced Group Work To make a story based on the starters with the same sentence as the beginning The Teacher The teacher makes the story starters for each group. Using sticks makes the teacher busy, but it's more interesting for students. Every member of a group has got the same starters, but each group has got different starters. Class Activities Students are in the groups of 3, or depending on the number of students. Every member of a group has got 4 sentences for story starters. All members of a group have got the same story starters, but each group has got different story starters. The students in the group begin their story with the same starter. The following sentences of story starters are freely ordered. Having finished the story making, each student tells the story to the group. They must have made different stories although the starters are the same. They compare their stories. The activities can be ...